Information Literacy Core Competencies
- The information literate student determines the nature and extent of the information needed.
- The information literate student accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- The information literate student evaluates information and its sources critically and incorporates selected information into his/her knowledge base and value system.
- The information literate student, individually or as a member of a group, uses information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose.
- The information literate student understands many of the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information and accesses and uses information ethically and legally.
Have More Questions?
Please note, this is NOT a search box for electronic resources. This box enables you to ask direct questions of the librarian via LibAnswers. All questions will be answered within 24 hours of submission. For time-sensitive questions please contact a librarian through one of the other methods listed under "Ask a Librarian."
The Jarrett Library Information Literacy Program strives to provide students with the knowledge and skills to be active participants in the information driven society of the 21st century.
Information literacy is a set of abilities requiring individuals to "recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information."
Information literacy forms the basis for lifelong learning. It is common to all disciplines, to all learning environments, and to all levels of education. It enables learners to master content and extend their investigations, become more self-directed, and assume greater control over their own learning.
ACRL | Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education." American Library Association, 18 Jan. 2000. Web. 12 July 2011.
The Information R/evolution
Wesch, M. (Producer). (2007). Information Revolution [video]. Retrieved July 12, 2011 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=-4CV05HyAbM